Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Birthday to Remember!

Today I celebrated my 60th birthday in Paris. My day began by
attending the Pentecost Service at the American Church in Paris. The
worship service was compelling. There was a "language choir" that
assisted in the reading of Acts 2. Readers surrounded the sanctuary
and read scripture simultaneously in many languages. Pentecost
commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and
other followers of Jesus as described in Acts. the language choir
brought this message to life! The chancel choir then sang "Let All the
World in Every Corner Sing" by Ian Higginson. It was wonderful to
reconnect with the Music Director Fred Gramann who hails from
Washington State. Fred visited us in Wenatchee years ago but has lived
in Paris since 1976. He is a fantastic organist and musician. What an
inspiring way to begin my day! Dale and I then walked the
Champs-Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe and climbed to the top for the
view. We lunched at the famous "Brasserie Lipp" in Saint Germain des
Pres and then visited both the Saint Chapelle Chapel and Notre Dame
Cathedral. As we entered the church, Mass was in progress. I got to
hear the Cavaille-Coll organ which has 5 keyboards and 8,000 pipes
....heavenly! Dale and I plan to have a late birthday dinner
celebration tomorrow night at "Tan Dinh" a well known
French/Vietnamese restaurant. I feel so blessed to have received so
many birthday well wishes from family and friends today via email and
Facebook. This has been the best birthday celebration ever. A huge
thank you to my husband for "planning" such a special day (inside
joke!) Gail

No comments: