Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Our mid-day nature walk

Dale and I both dislike rain and snow in the cold winter months in Wenatchee. So we take a winter vacation and seek out sunny destinations. Today we actually wished for rain and that is not like us at all! We thought we had a good plan for the day. A late breakfast, followed by a nature walk on the groomed jungle trails in the National Park where we are staying. Dale saw two iguanas over five feet long on his solo walk yesterday that he wanted to show me. The problem was the iguanas were having a noon time siesta and we should have been too. I have never been so hot and sweaty in my life. (I know my son will laugh at me as he endured two unbearable summers in Iraq.)  Thank goodness we had a swimming pool, air conditioned room and cold Perrier upon our return.
 
There is no doubt that the Lord was working overtime when he created Panama. The ecosystem is complex, thousands of different birds, animals, trees and flowers and that does not begin to mention the sea creatures, both salt and fresh water.  How endlessly  interesting. The sounds in the rain forest are fascinating. I always thought it would be fun to go on a safari. Honestly, I am beginning to realize that I wouldn't do very well in a place without amenities.  Panama has the most accessible rain forest anywhere in the world. In fact, over 25 percent of the land mass in the country is protected national forest. While there is an ever increasing American retirement population in Panama, it doesn't take long to leave the city. We didn't have to access this place by safari or bush plane. It took a thirty minute cab ride and a $30 fare on a paved road, Now we relax on a hammock on our personal lanai overlooking the grandeur of nature in the wild. I really do want to see that big iguana. Maybe tomorrow before breakfast? Gail
 
 
 

No comments: